I was able to find one way of detecting if the automation was working. However this is only a valid solution if the automation launches Chrome and picks the startup page. My automation monitors all, and so this does not work for my needs.
To test I stop the automation Delete or move my c:\users\%username%\appdata\local\google folder and then start the automation. As OpenSpan's Extension is not in the Chrome store (per Google support), it will load disabled by default. OpenSpan can see chrome but will not see anything related to the page's visited.
Chrome extension detection is a feature request that is currently on back log with our development team. We are waiting for confirmation on this functionality to be added to the next build release.
What I have noticed in my testing with the chrome adapter, is that when the Pega Robotic extension is disabled in Chrome or not installed, the OpenSpan.Translator.Web.Chrome.MessagingHost.exe does not run after the Universal Web Adapter has been started.
The OpenSpan.Translator.Web.Chrome.MessagingHost.exe is a process that is used to communicate between the Runtime Robotic process and Chrome.
I would advise creating a script to check to see if the process is currently running in task manager with the current user profile as the owner. If the process is not running, you can send a friendly message to the user to make sure that the extension has been enabled and to restart the Runtime project after enabling.
I ended up writing c# script that would detect if chrome was running, it would then compare the running state to what Pega was able to see. If the script detects Chrome is running but Pega does not I alert the user with a message box with directions on how to enable the plugin.