Posted: 30 Jun 2020 16:13 EDT Last activity: 1 Jul 2020 12:24 EDT
Pega Deployment manager
I have a requirement to setup Pega 8.4 in AWS cloud and use corresponding Deployment Manager (say 4.7) for CI/CD. I have four basic questions.
1. If we use Pega deployment manager, then we will be able to perform automated branch merge, automated build , copy the build to repository and move the build from repository to QA and all other OOTB release pipeline tasks, and we do not need to use any third party tool like Jenkins. Please confirm.
2. What are the tasks for which Jenkins (or likewise 3rd party tool) will be required in addition to Deployment Manager?
3. In our requirements, in AWS, Pega Dev, QA, Stage and Prod will be setup. On top of that one additional Pega server of same 8.4 version (different than the above environment) needs to be setup for Orchestration server. Please confirm.
4. The product file creation (which will be different for each release due to change in rulesets and associated data elements) will be a manual step before automated pipeline triggers? Or, this step is also automated in Deployment Manager?
Here are the answers to your questions in the same order:
1. Yes. Using Jenkins is not needed if you just have to deploy with the out of the box tasks.
2. If you have selenium tests or other non functional tests that you want to run, you would need Jenkins to run them and deployment manager could still orchestrate the entire process by triggering the Jenkins job at the appropriate place in the pipeline.