Here's a really basic example. The PDF file is included in the project as well as the Word document I used to create the PDF (I just did an export from Word as that was the easiest way to create one). It basically iterates through all of the pages in the PDF and then loops through each line on each page and saves the text of each line to a lookupTable. It then imports that lookupTable into an excel file that it will create in C:\Temp (make sure that folder exists first).
I think the issue was that you had the path in the connector and on startup it opens that file only. If that is invalid, you'd have to call close and then update the filename to re-open it. I notmally just use the OpenFileDialog on startup to set the path to the file which opens it. In the connector properties, I leave the FileName empty.