Posted: 3 Oct 2018 6:32 EDT Last activity: 22 Feb 2019 8:59 EST
Slow browser performance
I have recently created an RDA project which runs on a users machine and interacts with the browser.
Essentialy, the solution only launches the browser and then waits for a specific button to be clicked.
However, users are complaining that there is a significant drop in site performance/speed when using the browser that the automation is attached to. Other browser windows seem to be unaffected.
The same slowing down happens when interrogating.
This makes the automation unusable since users also need to be able to perform daily tasks on that same browser window to which the automation is attached.
Could you consult wether this is excpected behaviour?
How would you recommend resolving this?
Also, are there any ways to identify possible causes for the problem?
***Edited by Moderator Marissa to update SR Details***
A certain amount of slow-down is expected as there is another application running and interacting with IE, however it should not be as dramatic as you are describing. There are several things which could cause further slowdown. Try the following steps to see if they will decrease the slowness you are experiencing.
1. Whitelist the Robotics install folder: It's fairly common to see antivirus picking Robotics up as a potential threat. This can manifest in several ways (Hangs, slowness, crash). Generally, as a best practice, we recommend whitelisting the robotics install folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenSpan\OpenSpan Studio for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015) in order to prevent this.
2. Turning off all logging. If your problem is slowness specifically in IE this probably won't help, but if you are experiencing more general system slowness it could be that the process of writing logs is causing your system to slow down.
Just want to say - good question. Adding on to what my colleague suggested. There are also other options and properties that you can utilize - since we don't know your specific environment here a couple suggestions that may or may not help.
Web Adapter Properties:
You can go ahead and ignore some common pages that aren't needed in automation by changing this property. If the slowness is occurring because of the product, this should improve the performance on these pages. Unfortunately I'm not sure if regex works with this property (like if you wanted to ignore [(not)pega.com] kind of thing) - I'd give it some testing.
The OpenSpan.ini can be a pain because it is in the installation folder, but if you can edit it and push the changes to the user, it would most likely be beneficial.
Now - if you just want to track down what might be slowing things down - my goto answer is to check the logs! Check this out for ideas on what to look for - https://community1.pega.com/community/product-support/question/reading-runtime-logs-how. This is where you'll see if the automations are taking a long time to complete or if matching is happening during the reported "slowness" periods. This will give you a better idea where to focus your efforts in optimization.
I'll investigate the possible options and report what I found.
Thank you for posting your query on PSC. This looks like an inactive post and hence, we suggest you create a new post for your query. Click on the Write a Post button that’s at the top of this screen and also on our Pega Support Community homepage. Once created, please reply back here with the URL of the new post.
We have also sent you a private message opening up a communication channel in case you have any further questions.
SR-C65737 resulted in a product change and an additional setting in-place to allow for a specific hook to be disabled (if not needed). This slow performance was the result of a very busy application, a combination of Java, DotNet, and Html frameworks being used.
In the OpenSpan.ini configuration file, an additional setting called DisableHookCreateElement is added and setting it equal to 1 enables the property.
Additionally, some code changes were added to improve the efficiency of HTML hooking of events. These changes will be noted in the build notes for Pega Robotics when it is released.
We are also facing a similar situation in our BOT. What we observed was even though the web page on which we were working, was loaded in around 15 seconds, controls are getting matched at around 30 - 35 seconds. We have tried the options mentioned in the above posts. But it's not helping.