If you are testing it with your own application, then the API role will be specific to that application. If you are logging in with Administrator login, thenn the role will be PegaRULES:PegaAPI. Please refer the attachments.
As you rightly indicated this seems to be an upgrade issue. This was a fresh 8.1 install which was upgraded to 8.2. I have checked on a fresh 8.3 environment and I could see the APIs which just the Author Access Group containing:
I tried using the Author access group on the upgraded 8.2 environment environment without modifying but this did not work so still stuck as to how to fix this on our upgraded 8.2 environment.