So, my prerequisites are:
1) Test and stabilize the application user interface.
My application works fine and UI seems good as well.
2) If your system was upgraded from version 5.2 or earlier...
No, it didn't. It was upgraded from version 6.2.
3) Verify that the current system locale is the same as your base language (text in the original application). Do not run the wizard in a locale other than your base language.
Ok, I set 'en_US' localization in 'Operator' menu.
And in 'Designer Studio -> UI -> Localization tools -> Locale Settings'
4) If your application uses text strings in a way that does not create references...
Yes, my application has some Java code, there is the getLocalizedValue method used.
I added some field values in my localized rule sets, and it works fine.
5) Determine what language packs you have on your system. To acquire a pack, contact Pegasystems Global Services. Install language packs before you use the wizard.
My application has two language packs: RuleSetName_uk and RuleSetName_ru
A brief overview of Localization Wizard settings:
So, after all of these steps I don't get any changes on my Sections.
***Edited by Moderator Marissa to update categories***
Download the translation zip package again and try importing once again. If this doesn't work try the next step
Copy the contents of the TexttoTranslate.xml into a new excel sheet with the same name and include this in the translation package after deleting the original one and zip the package and import it once again.
Sometimes, the downloaded files may get corrupted resulting in this issue. Hope this helps.
Hi, NAQUS. I thank you very much for your assistance. I've translated three rules, copied the contents of the TextToTranslate.xml into a new sheet with the same name and included in the translation package. After this I've got the result:
The last error message disappeared, but there is still some error. In fact, my updates weren't accepted. I don't see any results on my UI.
And I can't get, why there are ten updated rules, instead of three.
I checked logs, but there is still no information.
I also should mention that there are no any error messages after I uploaded a zip with the copied file. The error message doesn't appear even if I upload the file without copying.